Saturday 4 October 2014

Beginnings : Going back to Education. MA Victorian Studies.

                                         

Back to Bloomsbury. All those weeks of walking around Gordon Square, stopping to smell the roses before disappearing into classes on academic writing have paid off. I am embarking on an MA in Victorian Studies at Birkbeck University.

I may have thought that writing an essay on the legalisation of cannabis was hard, but it helped me prepare for what is at the same time both exciting and scary, a return to education after many years away.

First week begun, my Amazon wish list is enormous. Parcels arriving weekly filled with thousands of words and images. New stationary, including notebooks, pens, highlighters, clips, files and a selection of Victorian postcards that will act as bookmarks.

First lecture on 'Emancipations of Catholics, enslaved Africans and Jews' by Professor David Feldman and I am hooked. At the end when Sir David Salomons [the first Jewish Lord Mayor of London] was mentioned I realise that when history has a personal resonance it becomes real and vital.

First impressions of fellow students, diverse, interesting. When we had to give examples of our interests, I thought, why didn't I think of that? Also, yes, yes, I want to study that!

First visit to the library. A quick dash before the lecture started and I have emerged with my first library book on Art and Ephemera in Revolutionary France. The staff were so helpful and not phased by my basic questions.

First lesson learnt, drink water to stay alert on the train journey home.


Salomons near Tunbridge Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment