Monday 23 December 2013

Advent Windows in Tunbridge Wells

In which I stroll around Tunbridge Wells at night looking for the magic of Christmas displayed in the shop windows of the Independent Retailer.




                                   Settle in Chapel Place Tunbridge Wells

Well, Christmas is nearly here and I am nearly finished with this project and I have loved it. It is interesting to me that the majority of fabulous windows were found in either Camden Road or at the bottom end of town after strolling along the High Street, through Chapel Place and then onto the Pantiles. This is were the independents seem to have amalgamated, but thank goodness they have and we have interesting areas of our town to visit that are not like 'just any other town centre' a statement that you often hear to describe shopping areas around the country.

This window is to be found in Chapel Place and belongs to Settle. Founded in 1997 it is a family run business which trades ethically to retail the unusual and the bespoke from all over the World. This window stopped me as I walked by because of its traditional image. This could be a Canadian hunting lodge from way back when, or maybe Scottish or Swedish. At the very least it would make a Christmas card image all on its very own. Also I don't think I have had many images of snow in the calender and it does remind me that at any moment now all those holiday advertisements will appear and the magic of Christmas will disappear. I digress.
This window intrigued me, traditional images combined with an imaginative display of eclectic items made me wonder if I would find something for the man in my life who is impossible to buy for. Not to spoil the magic, but if look hard enough the snow is all over the chair and I hope that the roof has not fallen in. I love the careful placement of the large silver bauble at the bottom right of the ski as it reflects the lights and other interiors of Chapel Place.

I have said nothing of the bear, the bear who creeps in the snow, normally pacing through a moonlit night in all fairy tales set at Christmas time but as Settle's website states:

Please note: no furniture or home accessories were harmed during the creation of this web site.

1 comment:

  1. A rally interesting one today, Caroline. You have done so well with this project. Bet you're glad you're not walking the st's taking photos tonight.

    ReplyDelete