Saturday 17 October 2015

Early Morning in Tunbridge Wells




It is dark and the phone rings in the early hours. You take the message but cannot sleep .
Dressing in the dark, driving in the dark along empty roads the lights all in your favour.
The ambulance has gone there is nothing you can do... but wait.



So I wait in the quietest place I know. Surrounded by people, I watch the sun rise but I think I am the only mortal to see the sky in this place at this time. Mindful of the novel I have just finished I set my camera to sepia and walk with Victorian eyes.



The last sentence in my head.

'But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.'




No comments:

Post a Comment