Monday 9 September 2013

Ramsgate : Coming Home


Suddenly, there it was, tonight. The house felt almost normal. Two children returned and bantering away as if they had never been absent, only one was missing. But the writing room door was open, the books turned down at the appropriate page and the pen was out scrawling notes whilst conversation ranged. I felt like my whole body had said " Phew, they are home and we can carry on as if everything is normal."
 This is a hiatus and will only last maybe a week but as a parent I feel happy. All the distraction tactics of the last few months can take a breather. Maybe I can pick up on the book or carry on working on that short story that I want to finish. Who knows?
 Occasionally, it is good to go right back to basics and remember why I started this blog. It was to be about things that inspired me. Hidden away behind this page are numerous posts that have been started but left for various reasons. Some because I am not sure where they are going. Some are book reviews for titles that I have not yet finished; not a good sign, but then I was always taught never to say anything unless you could say something good. Not necessarily a good motto for a book reviewer as it can result in bland reviews.  Some posts are just loitering with intent and then there are those of the 'woods for the trees' variety.
I post a whole set of photographs or words and then let them settle and see what develops.Which is the lasting photograph, the image that keeps returning to my mind? The resonating memory. Ironically for a blog post called ' A Window to my Soul' It was a window. A window in a church that I found so beautiful, in its composition , its colours , its iconography. I love the idea of hope, its representation of survival, its collective spirit .

                       The Dunkirk memorial Window of St George -the Martyr in Ramsgate.

                                                 ' The Blessed Virgin Mary'

                                      
                                                 
                                                  'St Michael' representing good over Evil.


                           Unveiled in 1961 by Jack Hawkes of the Ramsgate Lifeboat 'Prudential' to commemorate the 2800 men rescued from the Dunkirk beaches in 1940.


                                            
                     

                                      Ramsgate Harbour and the little ships on their rescue missions to and from the Dunkirk beaches                                      





                              The people of Ramsgate collectively welcomed the troops together with the aid of the Church and Nursing Services, the WVS {Women's Voluntary Service}, the Red Cross, the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy and the Ramsgate National Lifeboat .




The wording reads:
 ' Deliverance for the Shipwrecked. Health for the Sick, Safety for those troubled by War.'




I have been unable to find out whose work this stained glass window can be attributed to. But suffice to say I love it. I had visited  Ramsgate and Margate with The Friends of Woodbury Park Cemetery and together we visited some really interesting places including crypts and magnificent Victorian cemeteries. But for me this window has stayed in my mind as a vibrant symbol of hope and collective celebration over adversity.

Isn't that what every mother wants, her children home, safe, together and happy?





No comments:

Post a Comment