Monday 4 June 2012

Afternoon Tea with the Queen



To celebrate the Diamond Jubilee in 2012 I thought I would take tea with the Queen and look back at her Coronation in 1953. So with a few quiet hours to browse before I join our street party, I shall read the following publications. Any other magazine than  The Lady would be impolite. This coronation book is full of the most delightful photographs to keep any royalist happy.



The Souvenir Letter-Card of Sandringham contains photographs of the herbaceous borders, the lake, a pergola and the Norwich gates.



To close, I think it is only fitting to quote from the Queen's  first Christmas Broadcast that she made before her Coronation and reflect on her words.

"At my Coronation next June I shall dedicate myself anew to your service. I shall do so in the presence of a great congregation, drawn from every part of the Commonwealth and Empire, while millions outside Westminster Abbey will hear the promises and prayers being offered up within its walls, and see much of the ancient ceremony in which kings and queens before me have taken part through century upon century.

You will be keeping it as a holiday : but I want to ask you all, whatever your religion may be, to pray for me on that day- to pray that God may give me wisdom and strength to carry out the solemn promises I shall be making, and that I may faithfully serve Him , and you, all the days of my life."







1 comment:

  1. Such lovely photos as always :o) I definitely covet your beautiful coronation book. I never used to consider myself a royalist but since the engagement and wedding of Prince William and Kate I am definitely seeing a slow yet noticeable change in my opinions. I never would have thought it! I hope that you had a lovely street party.

    ReplyDelete